This Italian summer minestrone soup with flat green beans and potatoes is served lukewarm or cold and is one of my favourite summer dishes to prepare in advance and eat in the hottest hours of the day!
Like many Italian traditional dishes, this minestrone is incredibly simple.
You’ll need just a couple of ingredients and 15 minutes to prepare them.
The rest is cooking time; this minestrone will slowly simmer on the stove and be ready in less than an hour.
Get some fresh celery, garlic, tomatoes, flat green beans and potatoes.
The first thing to do is to prepare the base for the your summer minestrone.
Heat up a generous splash of extra-virgin olive oil in a big pot together with the finely chopped or pressed garlic and the whole celery stalk, which you’re going to remove just before serving. When the oil is hot and the garlic starts frying, add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook on high heat for a couple of minutes. Season with salt and stir often.
At this point add the water, the chopped flat beans, the potatoes and some more salt.
As soon as the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot (not completely) and let simmer the minestrone soup for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
Let cool down this gorgeous summer minestrone soup and serve it lukewarm or cold, adding your preferred fresh herbs and chili flakes.
LUKEWARM SUMMER MINESTRONE SOUP WITH GREEN BEANS AND POTATOES
For the base
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- extra-virgin live oil
For the soup
- 500 g of Romanos flat green beans
- 600 g of peeled potatoes *
- 3+1/2 cups of water
- fresh herbs (I used parsley and chives, fresh basil works also really well)
- extra-virgin olive oil
- chili flakes (optional)
* I used new potatoes and left the skin on. If you peel your potatoes, weight them without skin.
1. In a large, heavy soup pot heat the olive oil, the pressed (or finely chopped) garlic and the whole celery stalk over medium heat. After a couple of minutes add the chopped tomatoes and let cook this base, uncovered, over medium-high heat, stirring often. Season with salt.
2. Wash the potatoes and cut them in cubes (I used new potatoes so I haven’t peeled them). Wash the green beans and cut off the ends. Chop them in 3 cm (1 in) pieces.
3. Pour the water into the pot and add the chopped vegetables and season well with salt. Cover partially with a lid, bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 45 minutes or until the veggies are tender. Remove the celery stalk.
4. Serve lukewarm or cold, with a splash of raw extra-virgin olive oil, fresh herbs and chili flakes if you like it spicy.