A delicious and quick red pesto pasta to prepare in literally 10 minutes, putting together the sun-dried tomato and rocket pesto while the pasta is cooking.
Gluten or not gluten?. . . that is the question.
Rather than worrying about that, I mainly eat whole grain pasta and unprocessed cereals.
Barley, spelt, rye, wheat, as well as the gluten-free brown rice, buckwheat and quinoa: they are all great for our health and surprisingly delicious.
Because they still contain all their minerals and fibers, they are much more nourishing than the refined ones and make you feel wonderfully satisfied.
I normally eat these precious grains in their original form, however…: is there anything better than a bowl of delicious pasta to cheer you up and give you energy?
Well I don’t know about you, but I do eat pasta and I couldn’t live without!
That said, let me tell you about this pesto.
It is PEHNOMENAL!
The sweetness of the sun-dried tomatoes plays wonderfully together with the rocket’s peppery flavour and the nuts give a lovely texture and extra nutritional value.
Besides that, this dish is also super-fast; you can prepare the pesto while the water boils and in literally ten minutes it’s ready to go.
Packed with health!
This pesto is also great to season a delicious quinoa salad or simply on a slice of good bread.
QUICK RED PESTO PASTA WITH SUN-DRIED TOMATOES AND ROCKET
Ingredients for 2:
- 60 g (2 cups) of rocket / arugula
- 60 g (about 8, medium size) marinated sun-dried tomatoes *
- 40 g (half cup, less 1 tablespoon) of nuts of choice (I used almonds and pine nuts)
- 8 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- 150 / 200 g wholegrain pasta
*I used already marinated sun-dried tomatoes in oil, garlic and herbs. In case you have the non-marinated ones, take care that you soften them up in hot water and few drops of vinegar for a good half hour. Then drain them and let them marinate with oil, garlic, salt and oregano or other herbs of your choice for at least half day, better overnight.
1. Toast the nuts in a pan on medium heat for a couple of minutes and let them cool.
2. While the water for the pasta boils, place all the ingredients for the pesto in a food processor and mix until they are well combined. If you prefer a smoother texture, blend just the nuts first until they are finely grounded and then add the rest of the ingredients. Keep some rocket leaves for decoration.
3. In the meantime cook your pasta, drain it and remember to keep about a cup of the cooking water. Mix well the pasta with the pesto, adding some spoons of the cooking water you set aside. Before serving, sprinkle the plates with the rocket leaves.